Friday, January 4, 2013

How long has it taken for you to enter the Promised Land?

Have you wondered why it took 40 years for the Israelite's to reach the Promised land? As a young Christian, I never understood certain things from the bible and considered them as mythical.
40 years to travel 240 miles by foot? hmmm...isn't that a short distance that can be covered in few days or max a month given all the stop overs for rest.



(This map has been uploaded by Electionworld from en.wikipedia.org to enable the Wikimedia Atlas of the World. Original uploader to en.wikipedia.org was ThaThinker, known as ThaThinker at en.wikipedia.org. Electionworld is not the creator of this map. Licensing information is below. - Map generated based on image from: http://www.planiglobe.comRoutes drawn by ThaThinkerThis is a retouched picture, which means that it has been digitally altered from its original version. Modifications: Brightness/contrast, clarify, remove some jpg artifacts., CC BY 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1473184)

Whose mistake was it
I thought God was taking them round and round. But if we re-read, it is the Israelites who refused to enter the promised land. They preferred slavery in Egypt than obeying God. I guess the Israelites had got used to the lives they were leading in Egypt than going to a new place(Canaan) which were filled with giants. I would say both places don't look good in terms of the adversaries they'd have to face. But in one God's hand is there. The land promised to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the land flowing with milk and honey sounds more inviting.

I guess, we are in some ways like frogs in the well, refusing to see the big picture because of being closed minded.



Blinded to the signs & wonders of God
May be if we follow God's leading, trusting Him fully and don't act like a stubborn mule, try not to figure out logically that the Canaantites are mightier than us and not forget how big our God is....how wonderful life would be. Surely it will be, "...Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..." Aren't we Christians bought by God with a price? "Aren't we supposed to live not by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God"(Matt 4:4). We see miracles in our lives and we consider them as mere coincidence. Was that that happened to Israelites, they saw God's glory and His signs in front of their eyes Numbers 14:10-12 -"Then the glory of the Lord appeared at the Tent of Meeting to all the Israelites. 11The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them? 12I will strike them down with a plague and destroy them".
How terrible and sad to forget the goodness of God. By complaining we are separating ourselves from God. We take Him for granted, as if He is an ordinary person or He was only for the ancient times.

Throwing stones at Good Samaritans
Another funny thing to note is, there was a point where the Israelites were about to stone Moses, Aaron, Joshua and Caleb who desperately tried to encourage the people to remain obedient and courageous.(Numbers 14:5-10)
Have you ever tried to give a helping hand to someone and they instead of being grateful have either thrown stones at you or pulled you down into their misery?

Opportunity missed is opportunity lost
The Israelites who rebelled did not enter the land. "But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land into which he went, and his descendants shall possess it." (Num 14:30-31)

Have you ever been in the same situation or same place year on year. Or faced an agony boss in every Organization that you've changed. And you wondered when God when?
Probably there is something you need to learn.


Lead me, O Lord !

Psalm 23:1-4 The Lord is my shepherd, He knows my needs and provides me what I need at that moment of my life. Even when I am tossed in the mighty storm, He is there. I hold onto him as my anchor. And when I grow weary and weak, He leads me to quiet waters. He quenches my soul, He gives me rest, He prepares me for my next battle. Sometimes I'm tired of the battles and want to give up, but He gently holds my hand and assures me that He will be there. And I'm not afraid anymore. I know I have to walk all the highs and lows before I reach my promised land.

Psalm 84:10 -"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment